Five Points, Alabama

Five Points, AL
Share
Add Review

Details

Five Points is a town in Chambers County, Alabama, United States. At the 2010 census the population was 141.HistoryIn 1885, Five Points was named because of the five roads converging at a single point. Before this, the post office was known as "Lystra". The town was incorporated in 1915, making it Chambers County's oldest incorporated town. The Baptist Church was the first to take the name of "Five Points" on its building in 1929.Five Points holds the distinction of being the first town of its size to receive electricity from Alabama Power in 1925. In order to receive power, citizens were required to erect their own poles from Stroud to White Plains.Five Points is home to the first consolidated high school in Alabama. The original Five Points High School was an imposing brick building which had two floors above a full basement and a large auditorium that seated 400 people. Erected in 1916, it stood amidst an 18acre campus, the only rural school in the state with its own electric and steam-generating plant and water works. The school building was replaced by a one-story building in 1939. In 1974 a fire destroyed that structure which was replaced by the present building.The town elected its first African-American mayor, Geneva Bledsoe, in 1992. The current mayor is Derrick L. Wright Sr. who won the election by a vote of 50-32 on August 2012.GeographyFive Points is located in northern Chambers County at 33°1'1.880" North, 85°21'4.349" West (33.017189, -85.351208). According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 2.7km2 all land.

Map

Updates From Five Points, Alabama

Share Your Experiance About Five Points, Alabama

Other Information

Other Categories: