North Johns, Alabama

North Johns, AL
Share
Add Review

Details

North Johns is the second smallest incorporated town in Jefferson County, Alabama (after Cardiff), United States. It is located approximately eight miles southwest from the Birmingham suburb of Hueytown. North Johns was a thriving mining town at the beginning of the 20th century, when more than 2000 people lived in and around the community. It is named after a Welsh-born mining engineer, Llewellyn Johns, who opened coal mining operations throughout the area in the 1880s. At the 2010 census the population was 145, an increase of three persons from 2000.HistoryNorth Johns was incorporated in July 1912, although not until 1930 did it first appear on the Census records. It was listed as Johns in that census and North Johns from 1940 to date. Its peak recorded population was in 1950 when it had 454 residents.GeographyIt is located at .According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 0.2sqmi, all land.DemographicsAs of the census of 2000, there were 142 people, 51 households, and 37 families residing in the town. The population density was 732.3 people per square mile (288.6/km²). There were 56 housing units at an average density of 288.8 per square mile (113.8/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 40.14% White, 59.15% Black or African American and 0.70% Native American.

Map

Share Your Experiance About North Johns, Alabama

Other Information

Other Categories: