Thomas J. Rusk

411 N Mound St, Nacogdoches, TX 75961
Thomas J. Rusk Thomas J. Rusk is one of the popular School located in 411 N Mound St ,Nacogdoches listed under Education in Nacogdoches , School in Nacogdoches , Public Services & Government in Nacogdoches ,

Contact Details & Working Hours

More about Thomas J. Rusk

Washington Square

When Nacogdoches University was chartered by the Republic of Texas in 1845, three early settlers--Haden Edwards, Charles S. Taylor, and J. R. Arnold--donated 21.5 acres of land for the school. Known as Washington Square by 1848, the land was bounded by the present-day streets of Hughes, Mound, Edwards, and Fredonia. University trustees erected a two-story red brick Greek Revival building on the square in 1858. During the Civil War it served as a Confederate Hospital, and following the war was the site of the U.S. Army's East Texas headquarters. Later tenants of the structure included a Masonic Lodge and a Louisiana college. In 1889, in an effort to raise much-needed funds, university trustees sold the southern end of the square (between present Arnold and Edwards streets) for residential development. Christ Episcopal Church and the Old Stone Fort both stood on the square for a time. The trustees transferred the campus to the Nacogdoches Independent School District in 1904. Its educational purposes have included public schools, the first site of Stephen F. Austin State University, and the present Thomas J. Rusk Elementary School.

Map of Thomas J. Rusk