Bethel United Methodist Church-Carthage, MO

11833 Elm Rd, Carthage, MO 64836
Bethel United Methodist Church-Carthage, MO Bethel United Methodist Church-Carthage, MO is one of the popular Methodist Church located in 11833 Elm Rd ,Carthage listed under Methodist Church in Carthage , Region in Carthage , Religious Organization in Carthage ,

Contact Details & Working Hours

More about Bethel United Methodist Church-Carthage, MO

The Bethel United Methodist Church was product of a joint revival held in the community in 1883 by the Methodist and United Brethren denominations, located southeast of Carthage. The evangelists were the Rev. Br. Blevins, United Brethren, and an Elder Stone, Methodist. The meetings were held at Hardscrabble School. There were many converts during that meeting and "lots of shouting". Shortly after the evangelistic meeting, a United Brethren Church structure, called Salem, was erected about 1 1/2 miles east of the Bethel site.
The Bethel building was constructed in 1884 on a tract donated by a Mr. Stacy. John Hill and Lark Blevins were the chief carpenters, while much of the work was done by the men of the neighborhood. Joe Ralston and Charley Richey hauled lumber to the site. The rostrum and pulpit were fashioned by Elder Stone. Materials were purchased with donations from the heads of families in the congregation including M. I. Parker, W. B. Johnson, Joe Ralston, George Knight, Philip Knight, William Brummett, a Mr. Ingle, a Mr. Milnes, and a Mr. Augustus. Additional money was raised at ice cream and strawberry festivals conducted by younger members of the congregation.
Mrs. Lizzie Brummett supplied the name for the church and the building was formally dedicated on April 26, 1885. A parsonage eventually was added about 1/2 mile to the west. In 1887, the parsonage was lifted from its foundation by a severe wind and part of the building was scattered over a nearby pasture. Brother Entwistle, the pastor at that time who was blown from the structure, was found in the pasture singing, "Glory, Halleljah!" The parsonage was replaced in 1888.
A. D. Frye was the first regular pastor of the congregation, while W. O. Hamel, who served in 1886-91, was the first presiding elder. During the initial organizational period, M. I. Parker was Sunday School Superintendent and W. B. Johnson was his assistant. Philo Parker, Sr. was song leader and Laura Brummett Baker was organist. They served in 1886. The Rev. I. Entwistle, mentioned in the report of the storm, served the church in 1887-1888 as pastor.
The first wedding in the building was that of Miss Lizzie Knight and Milton Johnson, while the first funeral service conducted in the building was that of Mrs. Effie Johnson Burris, Feb. 21, 1901.
It seems we did not have a regular pastor in 1894, until the Rev. Mr. Claypool was sent to us. In 1895, the presiding elder was E. T. Hunt and our pastor was A. Burris. In 1896 W. T. Ferguson was pastor, he served again in 1899, K. D. Burnam in 1900, C. D. Frye again in 1901, the Rev. Mr. Richmond in 1903, Walter E. Brown in 1904, the Rev. Mr. Bower in 1905, The Rev. M. Hunt in 1907-08, the Rev. Mr. True, 1908-09, G. M. Foster, 909-10, C. O. Corckett 1915-16, The Rev. Mr. Henson, 1917, the Rev. Harold Hillard 1918, The Rev. C. B. Duffendach 1925-26. Other pastors who followed included: The Rev. Glenn Smith, The Rev. M. Aronholt, the Rev. Paul Fountain, the Rev. Frank McColl, the Rev. Mr. Gray, the Rev. W. G. Clinton, the Rev. W. L. Nebelsick, The Rev. Robert H. Bodine, The Rev. Fred Schmidtke, the Rev. Francis Carr, the Rev. Harold Mills, Sr., the Rev. Harold Mills, Jr., the Rev. Jack Couch, the Rev. Boyd Haddock, the Rev. Mr. Peters, the Rev. Mr. Evans, the Rev. Gilbert, the Rev. J. H. DeVries, the Rev. Ralph LaForge, the Rev. Robert L. Mobley, the Rev. M. H. LaFollette, the Rev. Earl Knowles, the Rev. Alfred Blair, the Rev. E. A. Neimeyer, the Rev. H. L. Thompson, the Rev. Don Simmons, the Rev. Johnny Blackwell, the Rev. Randy Gilmore, the Rev. Stan Lowrey, the Rev. Dan Crawford, the Rev. David Brane, the Rev. Earl Knowles, the Rev. Charles Robinson, the Rev. Robert Simon, the Rev. Tommy Freeman, and our present pastor the Rev. Crystal Wicks.
Over the years there have been many additions and improvements made since the building first was dedicated. The major improvement came about In the 1950's when the building was removed from its foundation, a basement was dug which housed new classrooms and space for fellowship meetings and then the building was replaced over the top. Memories have been shared of the children playing under the building while it was suspended on skids during this renovation. Other additions include: a new rostrum and chancel railings, hardwood floors, new pulpit, iron railings for the entrance steps, central air and heat, well, modern kitchen and bathroom, aisle carpeting, both Christian and American flags, new piano, sound system, and at one time pew cushions. In 2009 new signs were placed on the building and near the road and the outside marquee was refurbished by Wayne & Vada Calhoon, parents of member Karensue Hensley. In 2010 an ADA compliant handicapped ramp was installed on the east side of the building improving access. These improvements continued Bethel's testament of faithfulness to God and community.
In 2010 a joyous celebration was held commemorating the 125th anniversary of Bethel Church. Approximately 200 members, former members, friends and visitors celebrated this milestone with worship and special music. The sanctuary overflowed and many persons were seated outside under a tent on the grounds.
In 2013 God called home two of the church's long-time members, brother and sister, Mabel Crum and Mervin Parker. While the church mourned their passing, we also rejoiced in their innumerable contributions to the church throughout the years and also in their heavenly reward attained.
Due to a very generous bequest received by the church, much needed upgrades and improvements to the building began in 2013 including: new heat and air systems; new, upgraded electrical wiring throughout the building; a new sound system for the sanctuary also wired to the basement; ceiling fans with new light fixtures for the sanctuary; new basement windows; suspended ceiling and recessed light fixtures in the basement; new cabinets and fixtures for the kitchen; repairs to the basement walls and fresh paint; new tables and chairs for the basement; renovation of the restroom with new fixtures, new flooring, and fresh paint. Lay Leader Lynn Shelley was instrumental in spear heading these projects with much help from the congregation. Special thanks goes to Mr. Lawrence Schoenhals for his hours of labor working on many of these renovation projects and to his generosity with his time, talent, and expertise. With the repairs and renovations nearing completion, the church looks forward to implementing programming aimed at continuing to nurture our members in their faith and reaching out into our neighborhood and world to show Christ's love and care to all.
During the years, new members have been added and old members have passed on to their eternal reward. Each has brought their vision and inspiration to the church's work. Many friends have given generously of their time and substance. It is due to the untiring efforts and cooperation of all that Bethel has maintained its place in the religious lives of its members and friends. Today we reflect on the legacy of faithfulness and sacrifice that has been passed down to us from our predecessors. With God's help we move forward to carry on that legacy.
"Our church has meant much to us during these many years and we are thankful to our heavenly Father for the privilege of worshiping at Bethel United Methodist Church."
-Original history by Gertrude Knight Rogers, 1950 Updated by Church Historian Mabel Parker Crum, 1992 & 2003 Updated 2010, 2014 by Clara Ward

Map of Bethel United Methodist Church-Carthage, MO