Peirce Mill

2401 Tilden St NW, Washington, DC 20008
Peirce Mill Peirce Mill is one of the popular Landmark & Historical Place located in 2401 Tilden St NW ,Washington listed under Historical Place in Washington , Landmark in Washington ,

Contact Details & Working Hours

More about Peirce Mill

The Peirce Mill is a historic mill building located in Rock Creek Park, at Tilden Street and Beach Drive, Northwest, Washington, D.C., United States.HistoryIssac Peirce, a millwright, built the mill either in 1820 or 1829. Peirce rebuilt this mill according to Oliver Evans's ideas for milling, with much of the automated machinery on the upper floors. During the 1860s, as many as 12 wagonloads of wheat arrived for grinding. It was possible to grind 70 bushels per day per set of millstones. The last commercial load was ground in 1897, when the main shaft broke, when Alcibiades P. White was grinding a load of rye. The building served as a public teahouse until the 1930s.The United States Government bought the mill as part of Rock Creek Park in 1892. Peirce Mill was restored as a Public Works Administration project, completed in March 1936, at a cost of $26,614. Operation began on October 27, 1936, under the supervision of miller Robert A. Little. The mill was used from December 1, 1936 until 1958 to provide flour for government cafeterias, whereupon because of lack of trained millwrights and lack of water in the millrace, it was used only as a historical site.The mill was shut down in April, 1993. In 1997, a restoration effort was begun by the Friends of Peirce Mill (FOPM). The mill was restored with the support of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA). The mill officially reopened in October, 2011. The NPS typically runs mill operation demonstrations on the 2nd and 4th Saturday of each month, April through October.

Map of Peirce Mill